Two conversations for you today ... starting with a man you may not have heard of.
"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press." Those were the words of famous American radio commentator and newspaper columnist Walter Winchell.
I borrow Mr. Winchell's opening line to bring you "breaking news." There are now two possums making regular nighttime visits to our patio. And since we arbitrarily decided that the first possum to visit was a female, aka "Patsy," we should return the favor and anoint the second possum with the masculine moniker of "Patrick."
Now, this puts us in a conundrum of sorts. Since the gestation period for the common opossum is about 14 days, Paula and I could be "possum grandparents" in no time. There's always the chance that we have two males or two females thus necessitating a member of the opposite sex successfully impregnating either of our night visitors.
We'll keep a watchful eye on the two critters which may — or may not — hear love songs wafting about the patio.
In the meantime, something led Paula and me to an odd topic: Celebrities who go by only one name. Here's a sampling of some of the entertainers we came up with.
1) This singer was born Gordon Matthew Sumner on October 2, 1951. His mother, Audrey was a hairdresser and his father was an engineer. He got his one name after wearing a striped sweater he wore.
2-) This singer/actress/fashion plate was born Cherilyn Sarkisian on May 20, 1946. Her mother was Arkansas-born Georgia Holt; her father was a truck driver, John Sarkisian. She has one sister named Georganne LaPiere.
3) This talented singer was born Paul David Hewson on May 20, 1960. To date, he's won 22 Grammies, and been nominated for two Oscars. He's been the lead singer of his band since 1976. He and the bandmates were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.
4) Born on March 13,1951, our next contestant has the longest given name of any of the single-named celebrities in this quiz. She was born Maria del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza. No wonder she's known by one name!
5) Next is a singer and Oscar winner who was born as Marshall Bruce Mathers, III. That was back on October 17, 1972. His mother and dad were in a band called "Daddy Warbucks" when their future rapper son was born. So far, he's won a single Academy Award, along with 60 other wins and 97 nominations.
6) Our next single-name nominee was a fashion trendsetter/actress from the 60s. She was given the name Leslie Hornby when she was born on September 19,1949. She took the slogan "Thin is In" to the extreme and won two Golden Globes along the way. One GG was for the Best Actress in a Motion Picture, the other was for the Most Promising Newcomer – Female.
7) This extraordinary musician was born into a musical family. His mother was Mattie Shaw — a jazz singer; his father was John L. Nelson, a pianist and lyricist. This offspring was born June 7, 1958 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. So what single name did you know Prince Rogers Nelson by? (He was so talented I had to include him — even though this is so easy.)
8) Finally, our celebrity was given the name Alecia Beth Moore when she was born on September 8, 1979 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. She has won numerous awards during her career including the first and only win of the BRIT award by a non-British talent.
Here are the answers: 1)Sting; 2) Cher; 3) Bono; 4) Charo; 5) Eminem; 6) Twiggy; 7) Prince; 8) Pink
Have a great week. Possum updates as they happen.