On a bitterly cold Sunday morning almost 45 years ago, the streets of Auburn violently shook as a natural gas leak exploded, destroying the Kopper Kettle restaurant on the corner of Gay Street and Magnolia Avenue and scattering its remains across downtown.

The explosion, which originated in the basement of Waldrop's, destroyed Kopper Kettle, a dentist's office and other businesses in the Brownfied Building and damaged other buildings downtown.  Remarkably, no one died or suffered serious injury due to the explosion, although mannequins blown out onto the sidewalk from a nearby clothing store initially caused alarm for first responders arriving on the scene.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.