The 2019 Back to School Sales Tax Holiday is set for July 19-21, allowing shoppers the chance to purchase certain items free of state and local sales tax.
On June 4, the Auburn City Council approved an ordinance exempting specific items from the City's 4 percent sales tax, including:
• Clothing: All apparel suitable for general use is exempt unless it otherwise appears on the taxable list; clothing items must cost $100 or less per article of clothing to be exempt.
• Computers and Computer Software: A single purchase with a sales price of $750 or less will be exempt. Items exempt include computers, computer software, and school computer supplies.
• School Supplies: Any items of $50 or less per item commonly used by a student in a course of study will be exempt. Supplies may include art supplies, reference maps and globes, textbooks on an official school book list with a sales price of more than $30 but less than $50 and books with a sales price of $30 or less per book.
Items not exempt during the Sales Tax Holiday Weekend include:
• Clothing accessories such as handbags, jewelry, sunglasses and umbrellas;
• Protective equipment such as breathing masks, hard hats, helmets and safety belts;
• Sports or recreational equipment such as ballet or tap shoes, athletic gloves, goggles or shin guards;
• Any systems, devices, software, or peripherals designed or intended primarily for recreational use;
• Video games;
• Magazines, newspapers, periodicals or any other document printed or offered for sale in a non-bound form.
For more information, view the tax holiday brochure or contact the city's Revenue Office at 334-501-7239.